Davy hydrochlorination technology employs a special PRICAT mercury-free catalyst (MFC) formulation, the advantages of which are outlined below:
Traditionally, VCM production from hydrochlorination of acetylene has accounted for the largest intentional use of mercury in the world.
Johnson Matthey’s PRICAT MFC has the potential to transform the acetylene-to-VCM industry, and hydrochlorination generally, by completely eliminating the use of mercury from the process.
PRICAT MFC is guaranteed non-toxic and not harmful for the environment as it does not contain any volatile components that can be released to atmosphere or contaminate ground water.
Additional advantages of PRICAT MFC include:
- No risk of mercury poisoning to VCM plant personnel.
- PRICAT MFC’s high selectivity ensures efficient use of the HCl and alkyne reactants.
- The low by-product formation that results means that little separation is required to produce high-purity chlorinated alkene.
- Fewer reactors are required due to the high reaction yield delivered by PRICAT MFC.
- Less process equipment required due to the absence of any steps for mercury capture and handling, and treatment of mercury-contaminated waste water.